As we enter July, basil plants are thriving in the hot weather and tomatoes are starting to ripen on the vines. We love being able to use all this great seasonal summer produce in our recipes and hope you’ll use this FLOSN-inspired recipe to start your day off right!
TORTILLA DE PATATA WITH HEIRLOOM TOMATOES + BASIL
- 3 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, halved, and sliced thinly
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 6 large pastured eggs
- ¼ cup basil, chopped
- In a skillet, heat the oil on medium-high heat until hot. Carefully pour in the potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 12 minutes, or until tender. Add in the onions and cook for another 7 minutes, or until translucent. Both the onions and potatoes should be softened, with a slight crisp.
- Remove the potatoes and onions from the skillet and transfer to a large bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs until well mixed. Stir in the basil, tomatoes, and seasonings. Pour the egg mixture in the bowl of potatoes and onions, gently stirring to combine the ingredients.
- Pour a bit of the leftover oil from the skillet into a small bowl until about two Tablespoons remain. Pour in the tortilla mixture, flattening the potatoes, tomatoes, and onions with the back of your spatula until evenly distributed throughout the skillet and covered by egg. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the top is slightly runny and the bottom is nicely browned.
- Carefully invert the skillet over a large plate. Return it back to the skillet (with the browned bottom now facing up) and cook for about 3 minutes, or until desired consistency
If you’re in the market for seasonal organic produce, like the basil and tomatoes featured in this recipe, remember to check out the Conscious Kitchen X Tomatero Farm boxes here!