When the season provides a plentiful bounty of beautiful strawberries, make jam! The recipe for this sweet fruit spread and Organic Soft French Loaf were shared for the Conscious Kitchen Cookbook by one of the world’s top chefs, Three-Star Michelin Chef, Dominique Crenn. Enjoy! If you make these recipes, tag us in your photos @consciouskitchn.
Organic Strawberry Jam
Serves: 4 Prep: 10 min Cook: 20 min Ready: 30 min
4 cups ripe organic strawberries
1/4 cup of water
1 cup raw organic cane sugar
Directions (makes about 1 cup)
1. Cut the tops off the strawberries and quarter.
2. Bring the water and sugar to a boil.
3. Once the pot is bubbling, bring down the heat to a simmer and cook the strawberries until they’re a pulp. Then, remove and cool.
4. If you would like a smooth jam, blend in a food processor until you have achieved the desired texture.
5. Add a few drops of lemon juice to break the sweetness and add a tangy flavor to your jam.
6. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Organic Soft French Loaf
Serves: 6 Prep: 1:50 hr Cook: 20 min Ready: 2:10 min
2 Tbsp active dry yeast
1 tsp raw organic cane sugar
2 cups of warm water
2 tsp salt
41⁄2 cups of organic flour (of your choosing)
2 tsp organic cornmeal
Directions (makes two 12 inch loaves)
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Add 2 cups flour and salt. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top.
3. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
4. Fold the dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into 12-in.-long loaves.
5. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 450°. Sprinkle loaves with cornmeal. With a sharp knife, make four shallow slashes across the top of each loaf.
7. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.